I recommend having at-least one hundred clients, before you even think about having a small business barbershop or someone that you can open and maintain yourself. I always want people to think about having the consistent income flow that you would need to open up your barbershop and maintain your barbershop now. From my experience even myself, I thought that just because I had a few clients that I would instantly also became a business owner; boy and I was wrong and up for a rude awakening.
In the book the E-myth written by “Michael Gerber”, he gives a really clear description of the different types of mindsets that most of us as entrepreneurs have prior to become a business owners. Many times just having a trade or a skill doesn’t qualify you to be in business; hate to be the one to break this news to you but somebody’s needs too. There is a difference between running business and just being a technician on a mission.
Technician on a mission.
- Having a skill to of barbery and not having any business knowledge is a dangerous move.
- Experience – you must create an experience to your customers that can Consistently Expect over and over again. you can’t shampoo you client today use clippers give the a great experience. And next visit it’s totally different barbershop.
- Additive equals altitude if both your fault! I know it isn’t but client doesn’t need to know something isn’t right with your personal life, they are here for a service.
- Atmosphere – you know have to become your own security to decipher the good from the bad. Convos, people, doubters, negative cursing music. All plays a part in the type of clientele you want in your business.
What is my real job?
- Who pays the Bills?
- Managing other barber is a job.
- Who is your book keeper?
- Am I a house keeper?
- How do I get Clients?
- Am I the secretary?
I just want to cut hair !! I know tha Cid just what I thought once I first became a barbershop owner. Unfortunately there are many more jobs that needs to be done once you cross over into the lovely world of business. This was an are where I struggled for many years. After asking thousands of questions, interviews, and paying for business mentors and coaches, I finally figured out that you can not do all of the things and they have to be delegated.
We get the impression that we don’t have to file taxes because we now are self- employed. This thinking put me $4,000 in the hole from a tax lien. Your image is everything I know you don’t have time to clean after working 12 hours , but somebody got to do it.
Can I make money?
Your are makes a difference, on how your charge. However you also must continue to educate your self to raise your value. You are freely to offer upgraded services etc. Read my last blog on How To Create Value and Know Your Worth to find and determine other ways to growth and help your clients achieve their best look. Keep in mind your customers are your walking advertisement so you want them talking about you to the masses and as often as humanly possible.
Opening a barbershop can’t be difficult but is it is very achievable because know the thought of haircuts will never go out of style. As professional Barbers we sell haircuts but we as barbers we are really selling Confidence. The Barbershop is the best place men and young Boys to grow be inspired by indirect mentors and for young men grown in to distinguished gentleman. Creating the atmosphere to become a place to mingle, build relationships with like-mind and talk about sports, cars, girls, business struggles, and fun nothing beats the Barbershop.